Folk Dance Federation of California, South, Inc.
About the Federation
CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE
[ Home | About | Albums | Articles | Associates | Books | Calendar | Clubs | Dances | History | Insurance | Links |
| Membership | Officers | Photographs | Publications | Resources | Scene | Statewide | Syllabi | Teachers | Videos ]
Click a green link!
Purpose and Mission
The Folk Dance Federation of California, South, Inc. is a nonprofit organization interested in perpetuating folk dancing of all nations. As outlined in its bylaws, the purposes of the Federation are:
- to encourage the enjoyment of international folk dancing and related arts, and the promotion of friendship,
- to assist in the formation and development of folk dance groups where such assistance is requested or desired,
- to encourage research in authentic folklore, folk music, folk dance costumes, and folk dance techniques, as well as mutual cooperation and exchange of dance techniques, instruction, and leadership among folk dance groups,
- to encourage folk dance festivals in which all may participate, and
- to encourage institutes, workshops, and conferences based on folk dancing and related arts.
Benefits of Membership
There are several benefits that accrue to Federation members. These include
- Making new friends,
- Learning new dances,
- Eligibility for scholarships to folk dance camps and institutes,
- Gaining access to video and print libraries to research authentic dances, music, and costumes,
- Coverage by Dance Insurance.
Member clubs in the Folk Dance Federation, South, are located from Santa Maria to the Mexican border. Club Membership in the Federation consists of three categories: Regular, Multiple-Night (or Multiple-Day), and Exhibition. Federation clubs do not restrict membership because of race, creed, or color, and are under adult supervision (small children must be supervised by an adult). Member Clubs must be covered by Dance Insurance, whether provided through the Federation or other insurance sources.
For additional information about a particular club, please contact the Federation. If you are attending a club for the first time, we suggest that you ask for the club's contact person whom you may reach in case the location, day, or time has changed.
AssociateMembership is open to any individuals or organizations interested in supporting folk dancing, and consists of three categories: Individual, Organization, and Honorary (awarded to all Federation Past Presidents and selected individuals). An Associate Membership Application/Renewal form is available under "Publications."
The Federation supports many folk dance related activities including
- Assistance with Festivals held in varying locations (monthly, when possible),
- Assistance with Institutes featuring master teachers,
- Assistance with hosting dance Workshops, including teacher training seminars,
- Assistance with Club Formation and Organization,
- Libraries for dance, costume, and folklore research,
- Publication of the Folk Dance Scene newsmagazine.
The Federation formed a Scholarship Program to develop potential folk dance teachers, leaders, and folk musicians, and to recognize individuals for service to and active participation in the folk dance community. Further information about Federation scholarships may be found on the Scholarship Application Form under "Publications."